Monday, January 26, 2009

It's Kris

Sorry, I know that it's been a long time for my post about "The Voyage Long and Strange" I did finish it. It was a good book. A "eye opener" if I do say so myself.
I am like most Americans and have only the knowledge about early America that I learned back in grade school. The book taught me a lot! Did you know that Columbus never ever really set foot on American soil? And that before the Puritans came there where explorers that got as far as what we now call Kansas?! They went up the Mississippi and then explored that area. They didn't leave any settlements so that may be why they aren't talked about. Also I had a naive view of the puritans. I know that they came over to have religious freedom. England was Catholic at time and the Puritans did now want to be under Papist rule. That's why they came over. BUT they wanted everybody to be Puritans! The did not want religious freedom for others, just for themselves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The book sounds really interesting Kris. Thanks for the nice book review.